Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Zero Cholesterol from Plant Origin


Have you ever seen "Cholesterol Free" label on Soy Drink? Or sometimes on cooking oil bottle? It has been hurting my intelligence since secondary school where I learn that cholesterol only comes from animal origin. I try not to look at that label as I will start thinking on how the manufacturer misleads the consumer. For me, that kind of labeling is the same as putting “Sugar Free” on gasoline pump.

I kept this uneasiness to myself since I thought everyone knows about it. However, after the latest blood test results came in (my company provides free blood test for every staff once a year), one of my colleagues said he wants to reduce oily food intake as his cholesterol level is increasing. I had to explain to him that there’s no cholesterol in palm oil. Believe me; it is hard to convince him.

Then I started asking other people whether they are aware of that fact and it turned out that most of them are not!

When you see a “Cholesterol Free” label on a particular product, let say “Brand A” palm oil, you will subconsciously believe that other palm oil brands has cholesterol. That’s what marketers do. So, even though it actually does not exist in any palm oil, putting that label increases the marketability of their brand. However, this will subconsciously lead to believing that palm oil has cholesterol.

Again, there's simply no cholesterol in any food that originates from plant. Any plant at all. So, every time you see this kind of label, hate it please....


No comments:

Post a Comment